How to Sell at the Market as a Farmer, Baker, or Other Food Producer

If you are eligible to sell at the Market, we'd love to hear from you! 

Farmers and Ranchers

Farms and ranches must be certified by an agent from the Davidson County Cooperative Extension Service. This certification ensures that our farmers are growing their produce, animals, and items locally in Davidson or a surrounding county. Contact extension agent Sam Boring at or 336.242.2091. If you live outside Davidson County, your county's extension agent may perform the certification and give a copy to Davidson County's agent.

Most everything produced by local growers can be sold including vegetables, fruits, plants, eggs, meats, honey, cut or dried flowers, and firewood.

To sell at the Market, you must grow 50% of what you sell from May 1 - June 15, 100% of what you sell from June 16 - September 1, and 50% from September 2 - Closing. During the 50% time, products acquired from other farms must still come from Davidson County or counties adjoining Davidson County and must be labeled as such. Any exceptions (e.g., NC mountain apples or coastal peaches) must be approved in advance by the board of directors.

All products produced under certification such as organic, licensed meat, poultry, or dairy products or products requiring kitchen inspection, such as baked goods or preserves, must display certification or license and have a copy on file with the market manager.


Once your Farm Certification is approved, this form will be shared with the Market Manager. We must have the certification before the first day you vend at the Farmers Market.  Contact the Market Manager when you are all set. 

Bakers and Other Food Producers

Producers of baked goods and jarred preserves do not require Cooperative Extension certification but must operate out of a certified home-based kitchen approved by the NC Department of Agriculture.


Baked goods, preserves, pickles, relishes, jams and jellies made by the seller in an approved kitchen may be sold at the market. However, no low-acid canned foods such as green beans, corn, peas, carrots, etc. may be sold. In addition, no canned tomato products may be sold.

Sales Tax

If you are selling farm items you grew, you do not need NC Department of Revenue Sales and Use Tax certification. Vendors offering value-added products (e.g. baked goods, jams & jellies, crafts) or produce they have purchased for resale must be registered with the NC Department of Revenue, and their DOR certificate must be displayed in their market stall.